Principles

The Samoa Voyaging Socety (SVS) works to promote positive Samoan cultural values, respect for the ocean and nature, individual and social responsibility, discipline and integrity.


The SVS considers that the reintroduction of traditional sailing in Samoa will provide opportunities for youth development (sports, leadership), environmental awareness, cultural development and, potentially, tourism opportunities such as whale watching and adventure tours.


SVS is developing hands-on educational and training programmes in traditional sailing and navigation. The programmes will target young Samoan youth including school children, school leavers and other interested groups. The task of learning traditional sailing and navigation skills also develops leadership and discipline among the youth, leading to well-rounded young people capable of contributing positively to the growth of this nation.





Wednesday, August 8, 2012

7th August 2012

“You must be dreaming. Are you joking? Get that idea out of your head and get back to what you were doing.”

Have you heard this somewhere before? Sometimes the seed of the idea, the beginning of the dream, ends right there. But then maybe it could sound like “hang on a minute I can do that”. I could go to the library; I could look on the internet; I can talk or mix with people who know; I can ready myself or do some training; I can advertise myself to the right people.

Listening to some of the crew in the fleet and here on Gaualofa has been humbling in this respect. Both similar and different. Similar because whether intentional or not most of us voyagers started with a dream then tried real hard to make it a reality. Different is , our separate journeys and reasons, which could be: to travel, to find our heritage, to experience life on a traditional canoe, traditional navigation, ocean conservation, to be an example for family….. Your reason is yours and so is your dream. Fight for it.

We are really looking forward to arriving in Tuvalu (just 150 nm to go) and meeting with the people. Also having our first land wish. Mine is to drink a coconut. Anama says she can’t wait to have a snowflake. Lole says his is pavlova , John wants a coconut crab, Bruce wants fruit like maybe an orange, Kim wants a freshly baked chocolate chippie and cold milk, Jordan wants green tea ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle. Taleni wants pig ears. Senio wants ufi.

Soifua
Andrew Banse and Gaualofa  crew

3 comments:

  1. Gaualofa: I'm reading this a day after the great news of your arrival at Funafuti ... three weeks and three days on the open seas with such meager resources ... how can one not hold huge admiration for the captain and crew of the Gaualofa? Here's a silent prayer in thanksgiving for keeping faith in the Almighty. The rewards of following your 'dreamings' are in seeing and experiencing their unfolding, which I'm sure you're enjoying. So keep on with your dreamings ... I know I'm realising mine pulled along in the wake of the Gaualofa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soo happy you all made it to the Island! I been Google earthing it and this place is Tiny! I mean like I feel like you can see to the other side tiny lol. Whats it like there? I sure hope you get everything needed to feel those water logged legs, I don't blame you for taking a break from the sea. Kim I gots (not a typo) you on some Chocolate Chippie and Milk it will be at the Air Port with me :-)

    Stay Strong Stay Courageous because your strength is helping many people!

    Can you tell me what Island of Tuvalu (9) your on because on Google earth All extremely small. Tuvalu, means "eight standing together"

    Well Manuia le Malaga

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete